Associations & Not for Profit
The NWT Seniors’ Society is a non-profit organization incorporated in 1983 under the Societies Act of the NWT.
The Society provides information, acts as a resource and support for seniors and elders across the NWT.
The Society is the only voluntary agency representing the individual and collective interests of all seniors and elders in the NWT. You may be a voting member of the NWT Seniors’ Society when you reach 50 years of age.
The Society is made up of member organizations representing the interests of seniors and elders throughout the NWT. The Board of Directors consists of representatives from various regions of the NWT that are appointed by their community. Individual memberships are also available.
The NWT Seniors’ Society provides:
• Toll Free Seniors’ Information Line 1 (800) 661-0878
• Advice to governments and communities which supports and promotes policy development, programs and services to enhance the lives of older adults;
• Community workshops on topics and issues which affect seniors and elders;
• 2 say workshop on Elder Abuse;
• Grants for Senior Citizens’ Month and World Elder Abuse week in June
• Support for Intergenerational Projects in collaboration with NWT Recreation and Parks Association
• Working Together with Elders community-based project in 10 NWT communities; and
• An Annual General Meeting with opportunities for seniors and elders to talk with service providers and government departmental staff about issues which affect them.